LIFE, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness


We're a Christian homeschooling family of four. We are eclectic, gravitating toward the Classical side.


SHS P365

Previous | List | Next

Our Family
JEFF

Husband, Dad, Mechanical Engineer, Bass Player ...

Obsessed with all things Engineering.

AMY

Wife, Homeschool Mom, Webmaster ...

Obsessed with all things Political.

RACHAEL

Daughter, Sister, Sophomore ...

Obsessed with all things Geological.

NICHOLAS

Son, Brother, 8 year old ...

Obsessed with all things Historical.

(especially Egyptian!)

Favorite Books/Curriculum

The Well-Trained Mind
Singapore Math
Greenleaf Guides
Apologia Science
AIG Science curriculum
Story of the World

Traffic Feed

Visitors

Day 69 - Our current book list
Monday, March 10, 2008

We checked out the D'aulaires' book from the library, and it was an instant favorite for both of the kids! We've been reading this out loud during the day. Our renewals are almost expired and the kids still love it ... I think this is one we're going to have to buy! I'm hoping I can find it used (and cheap!) at one of the homeschool conventions. I've also been reading "Just So Stories" to the kids at bedtime. I had never read any of Rudyard Kiplings books, but for some reason always seemed to have an aversion to him. I picked up this book at a used bookstore for $.60. It looks like we'll be reading more of his books in the future, too! The Children's Homer is one of Rachael's assigned history books (we're doing Ancients this year ... again!) She complains that she doesn't like it, but not as much as she complained with "Black Ships Before Troy" by Rosemary Sutcliffe! I've read part of the Children's Homer to Nick and he likes it, so it can't be that bad! I think by adding more of the classical literature as recommended by the Well Trained Mind, it's requiring a longer attention span and a more varied vocabulary than what she would like....

Labels:

posted by Amy @ 2:58 AM  
2 Comments:
  • At 5:53 AM, Blogger Renee said…

    Amy,
    I have the D'Aulaires Greek Myths book on my "for sale" list that I"ve not yet posted to SHS. I'll have to check to see what I paid new to give you a price...but if you're interested let me know.

     
  • At 7:59 PM, Blogger Kristine said…

    We've not read Just So Stories, but we enjoyed the story of the mongoose/snake a few years ago.

    We like many of TWTM suggestions, and my ds is doing SOTW 2 this year. My dd had a knack for vocab and she's never studied it much, but I'm incorporating it with my ds's read alouds this year, because I've been continually surprised at the words he doesn't know.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Amy
Home: Indiana, United States
About Me: I am a Homeschool Mom of 2 awesome children. This is my attempt at Project 365 - to chronicle our world through daily photos...
See my complete profile

SHS Webring

| Previous | Home | Next |



SUBSCRIBE HERE



Previous Post
Blog Roll -
Friends, Family, & Favorites
Archives
Links




Photobucket


BLOGGER